Technical Design Intern
This position is part of Advent's Design Services team. The Technical Design Intern will be responsible for working with the technical design team to create and manage 3D models and production documents. Primary areas of focus are construction detailing, sketching, 2D (AutoCAD) documentation, 3D modeling and document management for design projects.
A successful applicant is someone well-versed in architectural design applications with a strong understanding of design and fabrication practices. The candidate should have confidence in conceptual design, 2D technical detailing and the ability to visualize in 3D space primarily as it relates to graphic design, building interiors and systems.
This role requires a high degree of self-motivation, strong attention to detail, flexibility to quickly absorb information from fields outside your area of expertise, and a willingness to give and receive constructive criticism. In this position, you will collaborate with your team to develop appropriate design solutions as well as coordinate the design through the production documentation phase of the project.
- Proficiency in the use of 2D/3D software, including Autodesk Revit, AutoCAD, Sketchup, PhotoShop, InDesign and Illustrator. Understanding of 3D Studio Max and InDesign is a plus
- Work with the Technical Design team on constructibility designs, presentations, design development, and production documentation
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time
- Quality Control of design and fabrication drawings and models
- Provide internal training to designers and project team members
- Resolve complex design issues with innovative and practical solutions
- Plan and coordinate BIM requirements such as: laser scanning plans, collaboration on 3D models, coordinate and manage models with industry partners
- Advanced design and fabrication practices through a foundation understanding of technical design tools and technologies
- 0-2 years industry experience preferred
- Current enrollment in a bachelor’s degree program in architecture, interior design, construction or similar field
- Strong understanding of design and construction fundamentals
- Experience and high proficiency with Building Information Modeling platforms – authoring software, model based coordination tools: Autodesk AutoCAD, Autodesk Revit, and Trimble Sketchup
- Commitment to advancing conceptual and technical design practices through the use of available tools and technology
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Strong presentation and public speaking skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects and handle multiple tasks during the same time period
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters or instructions given prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
- Experience in hand sketching and rendering considered a plus